Thursday, December 23, 2010

Kissinger Daze (1975)

(1975) Dry Bones cartoon: Fixated on Henry Kissinger.
The "Kissinger Festival" of Dry Bones cartoons continues.

In 1973 and 1974 my fear and loathing of Henry Kissinger was a mainstay of my work. By 1975 my editors at the Jerusalem Post were hinting that I was overdoing it. Friends joked and teased me about my "fixation" on Henry. In this Golden Oldie from 1975 I had my alter ego, Mr. Shuldig, trying to resist the compulsion to do yet another "Kissinger cartoon". Any understanding of Dry Bones in the seventies would have to feature the "Kissinger" cartoons, so I think that, like Mr. Shuldig in today's cartoon, I'll not stop. The festival continues!

* * *
Cartooning note: In the seventies I drew eyes as without pupils (as in the first 5 panels). In the last panel of the cartoon Mr. Shuldig's pupils gave him a pop-eyed look to readers of the day. Today the Shuldig in the first five panels has a dazed look. An annoying stylistic change. Whenever I post a Golden Oldie from this period I fight the compulsion to "dot" the eyes! But my goal is to share my thirty seven years of history with you. As we lived it. And as I drew it. Dots or no dots!

Labels: , , ,