Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Mail: March 30, 2008

Letters From Dry Bones Posting a cartoon every weekday leaves no room for me to simply share news, ideas, and other stuff with you, so here's a Dry Bones feature called: 'Sunday Mail: Letters from Dry Bones'.

Letters From Dry Bones

Item One: "Learning Hebrew".
A number of readers have asked my advice about "learning Hebrew". The trouble is that they almost never say if they want to learn Conversational Hebrew, or Modern Hebrew, or Biblical Hebrew, or if they are looking for a workshop where they can improve their Hebrew.

It's obvious that to learn Hebrew you've got to have a Hebrew-speaking teacher. Not just someone who speaks it better than you do. My advice, if you are serious, is to check out a remote-learning (or "virtual classroom") Hebrew program. No matter where you are in the world, these programs will provide you with real, live, Israeli Hebrew teachers who are in Israel! They have a specific program for your specific needs. Here are the links for
Conversational Hebrew,
Modern Hebrew
Biblical Hebrew
or, to improve your Hebrew check out their
Hebrew workshops for advanced students

Item Two:Israeli Taxis
I don't own a car and often take taxicabs. Where I come from, you can tell when a taxi is empty because its roof light is turned on. When the cab is not available, the light is off. Here in the cities of the Jewish State, the roof light of a taxi is put on to signal that it is nighttime and nothing else. This results in my signalling wildly at the driver of an approaching roof-lit cab and only discovering, at the last minute, that there's a passenger inside. I am then forced to save face by continuing to wave as the cab goes by, pretending that I had not been signalling him, but rather some other driver, in some other cab, somewhere behind his.

Most Israeli cabs have neat GPS map devices on their dashboards. I was in a cab in Tel Aviv the other day, chatting with the driver. He was not happy with his GPS map.

"I know of a neat place online to get some great GPS maps." I said.

"Where?" he asked.

"I don't know" I answered, "I wrote about it on my blog a while ago and I don't remember the URL."

He probably thought "Why does the idiot bring it up when he can't give me the address?!!"

What I thought was "Why does the idiot keep his roof light on when he can't give someone a lift?!!"

By the way, now that I'm back at the computer I checked, found the link to the neat GPS place and discovered that they're having a 50% off sale!! Click here.

Labels: , , , , ,